Sourdough bread, really is there anything better!
Like most fermented foods sourdough is the epitome of slow-foods. So don’t be freaked out by how long it takes to make your sourdough bread. There is a lot of waiting around while the magic happens.
This recipe is super easy. Let’s be honest bread is super easy, there are a few tricks and I will teach you those over the next few weeks in my online classes & Instagram posts.
I have been teaching bread making for a really long time and have been making bread ever since I was able to stand on a chair next to my Nona & knead that dough. In my family, we mostly made one type of bread, which was our family’s pane di casa (bread of the house), every family has their own recipe & way of doing it. It’s the same with the wine, the pasta, the salami, the sauce ect. That’s The Magic. Traditions that are passed down generation by generation.
As a result of COVID-19 Lockdown we have pull those traditions out again and that’s a good thing. Wouldn’t it be awesome if you started your own family sourdough bread making tradition?
In future blog posts I am planning to share these recipes as well as some that I have developed from my time as a Country Show entrant. I was super competitive and won heaps of Blue Ribbons.
Lastly have fun; cooking & food are about shared experiences, making memories & enjoyment.
PS: here is the link to the starter recipe you going to need it or a starter that has been gifted to you.
- 4 cup plain flour
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1.5 cup Sourdough starter
- 1.25 cup water
- Mix flour & salt together in a large bowl
- Stir in sourdough starter
- Add 1 cup of water & combine. The add the rest of the water a little at a time, until you have a ball of dough.
- Tip the ball of dough out on to a floured work surface & knead by hand for 10 minutes, until it is smooth & elastic.
- Put the dough into a floured bread tin/pan and allow to rise at room temperature for 12 hours (over night)
- Heat oven 220C
- Bake bread for 30 minutes or until cooked. Bread is cooked when it sounds hollow when you knock on it.
- Turn out of tin and cool n a wire rack.